Photo: Waterside Plaza 40th Anniversary Celebration Finale Fireworks. Credit: @rafat
A heartfelt “thank you” to all those who came out for Waterside’s 40th Anniversary Celebration, on Thursday, Sept. 19, 2013. We couldn’t have had a more beautiful night or a better crowd to turn 40 with. Below are some our favorite moments of the night. Share yours in the comments!
1. Getting all dressed up
2. When these dance-happy residents got the party started
3. Everybody arrives!
There were around 2000 people on the Plaza.
4. The George Gee Orchestra’s John Dokes and Hilary Gardner sing a duet; are perfect
5. Face paint and blue cotton candy!
6. Every time Syncopated City Dance Company hit the floor
7. These girls in their party hats
8. Longtime staff taking in a well-earned round of applause
9. These kids who settled down story-time style for all the videos
Above: The Lord Mayor of Bristol, an English city Waterside shares an unexpected connection with, sends us a special message. This, and all our other event media can be found here.
10. Artist, Edwina Sandys speaks about the bond between England and America; brings her friend, author, Ava Roosevelt to the stage
Edwina Sandys and Ava Roosevelt are the granddaughters of another epic pair of friends: Winston Churchill and Franklin D. Roosevelt.
11. George Gee swings down the house under a full moon
12. Everybody gets on the dance floor!
13. Last dance; Syncopated City leads the crowd in the shim sham
14. And, of course: fireworks over the East River
We can’t take credit for the gorgeous harvest moon but we were all glad to see it!
15. Everybody watching the fireworks
Thank you again, residents and guests, for making this momentous occasion special. We’re looking forward to the next 40.